was built by William
(1791-1870), reputedly in
. The land surrounding
the property was enclosed in 1826. The house is situated a few hundred yards south east of
, and lies due west of Zimapan
Sir William Williams
was John Williams 3rd's youngest son
became the 1st Baronet Williams of Tregullow in 1866, a title he himself created
married Caroline Eales and lived in Tregullow House until his death in 1870
had eight children with CH
After Sir William died, Caroline Williams became head of the household until her death in
Heads of Tregullow House
The house was passed down, mostly through the Williams family, as follows:
Sir William Williams [±1826-1870].
Caroline Williams [1870-1886].
Arthur Edward Williams [1886-1891].
Charles Augustus Vansittart Conybeare [1891-1902]2; house run by
caretakers from 1901-1902.
Mr Christie buys house [1906-c.1918]
Major John Williams 5th buys house back after WWI [c. 1918], presumably
from Mr Christie. At this point, John Williams 5th owns both local piles,
but lives in Scorrier House.
Stephen William Williams, Brig. [± 1942—].
James Williams [from 19xx—present]; current head.
Tregullow House in 1891
In 1891, the year in which Tregullow House and Zimapan changed hands, TH is
thought to have been occupied, prior to its sale, by one or both of Caroline Williams's two
unmarried sons, Arthur Edward Williams (1832-1893) and Michael Williams 3rd. One of them, most
probably Arthur, who was the eldest surviving son living in TH with CW at the time of CW's death,
is thought to have transferred the ownership of Tregullow House, or leased it, to the local
MP for Camborne, Charles A. V. Conybeare in 1891.3
1. The Book of St Day.
2. Conybeare is thought to have continued living in or leasing the property until around 1902
as there are no further entries in Kelly's Directory after 1902. Oddly, the inscription on
Florence's memorial in Ingatestone, Essex, which is where Conybeare was also buried later, refers
to her as "...late of Tregullow" [ed. Tregullow House], although in fact 11 years had
elapsed since the couple had lived there. There is just a chance then that she continued living
there without her husband once he began living in Wilmington, but this is speculation.
3. CAVC's ownership of Tregullow House is not mentioned in any of the old deeds
investigated so far in this project.